A intensive guide to neon's history, construction, and current use by neon enthusiasts Alice Taranto and Nate Zack.
Schedule: Part 1: Intro/History
• Students will get to view a small display of neon signs, most made by the instructor (green squiggle, YTB neon, WYSIWYG, STEAM neon)
• Alice will provide some neon books from the RISD library, which will be available for browsing.
• Alice will give a short slide presentation of the history and science of neon
Part 2: How Neon Works & its Contemporary Situation
• Group will watch short clips from “The Making of Neon Signs" and “M+ Collects Neon”
• Alice will explain layouts of letters and view bending patterns
• Group will watch 1-2 bending videos from youtube
• Class bending demo with wire as neon substitute
• Short slide presentation of contemporary neon artists and artworks
• Group discussion about what inspires students and what students hope to do with neon
Part 3: Walking Tour of Thayer
• Students will walk around to see a couple of key Thayer neons with a new perspective: The Avon, Johnny Rocket, Dry Cleaners